Table of Contents
Are you experiencing the frustrating problem of your SteelSeries Arctis 1 mic not working? Don’t worry, you’re not alone. Many users have encountered this issue, but luckily, there are simple solutions to get your microphone up and running again. In this article, we will explore some troubleshooting methods to help you fix the SteelSeries Arctis 1 mic not working problem.
1. Check the Mute Button
The first step in troubleshooting the microphone issue is to ensure that the microphone is not muted. On the left earcup of your Arctis 1 headset, make sure the mute button is not pushed towards the mute end. Sometimes, a simple mistake like this can cause the mic to stop working.
If the microphone is still not working even though it is not muted, try the following workarounds to fix the issue.
2. Allow Access to the Microphone
Unlike other SteelSeries headsets, such as Arctis 7, 9, and 9X, the Arctis 1 does not have a factory reset button. Therefore, if the issue is not with your headset, check if you have allowed access to your microphone by following these steps:
- Press the Windows logo key on your keyboard to open the Search box, then type “microphone” and select “Microphone Privacy Settings” from the results list.
- Under the “Allow Apps to Access Your Microphone” tab, ensure that the toggle is in the “On” position so that other apps can use your microphone.
- Scroll down to choose which apps can access your microphone and make sure you have it set for all the apps you want.
- Now, check if your mic is working for the app you’re using.
If the microphone still doesn’t work, proceed to the next method.
3. Change Your Microphone Settings
Sometimes, Windows may not automatically detect your microphone and set it as the default input device when your headphone is plugged in. In such cases, you can manually set it as the default device by following these steps:
- Right-click on the sound icon in the lower-right corner of your desktop and select “Sounds.”
- Go to the “Recording” tab and make sure your “Headset Microphone” is set as the default device. If not, select your headphone and click “Set Default.”
- Ensure that the display name shows your headphone’s name correctly and shows strong signals, indicating that your computer recognizes your device. If it shows something else, such as “Wireless Controller,” there may be an issue with your mic settings, and you should reconnect your headset.
- If the display name and signal are normal, right-click on “Headset Microphone” and click “Properties.”
- Click on the “Levels” tab and drag the volume slider to the highest value (100).
- Click “OK” to apply the changes and then click “OK” on the last window.
Now, your microphone should be set correctly, and you’ve turned up the microphone volume. Test your headphone to see if the microphone is working. If it does, congratulations! But if not, the next fix may help you solve the problem.
4. Update Your Audio Drivers
The mic on your SteelSeries Arctis 1 headset may not work if you’re using incorrect or outdated audio or headset drivers. To fix this, try updating the Realtek audio driver and your headphone driver to see if it resolves the issue.
You can choose to update the drivers manually or automatically. The manual process involves visiting the manufacturer’s website, downloading the latest drivers, and installing them manually. However, this method can be time-consuming, technical, and risky if you lack computer knowledge.
To update your drivers automatically, you can use a tool like Driver Easy. Follow these simple steps:
Download and install Driver Easy.
Run Driver Easy and click the “Scan Now” button. The software will scan your computer and detect any problematic drivers.
- Click the “Update” button next to your sound device or your headset to download the latest and correct driver. Alternatively, you can click the “Update All” button at the bottom right to automatically update all outdated or missing drivers on your computer (this requires the Pro version).
- Restart your computer for the changes to take effect.
Did updating the drivers fix your SteelSeries Arctis 1 mic not working issue? If not, don’t worry. We have one more fix for you to try.
5. Install the Latest SteelSeries Engine Software
The microphone problem may be related to your SteelSeries Engine software. To resolve it, make sure you have the latest version installed. Follow these steps:
- Press the Windows logo key and “R” simultaneously on your keyboard to open the Run box. Then type “appwiz.cpl” and press “Enter.”
Right-click on “SteelSeries Engine” and click “Uninstall.”
Download the latest version of the SteelSeries Engine.
Select your operating system to start the download.
Once the download is complete, run the executable file and follow the on-screen instructions to finish.
Replug your SteelSeries Arctis 1 into your computer and run the software. Your headset should now be recognized successfully.
Did the above fixes resolve your SteelSeries Arctis 1 mic not working issue? If you have any questions or suggestions, please leave us a comment. We value your feedback.