Table of Contents
- Understand how to connect Shokz to multiple devices
- Troubleshoot connection issues
- Get to grips with NFC technology
- Also, check out our post on whether Bone Conduction Headphones Cause Vertigo?
Shokz headphones (or Aftershokz as they were previously known) are becoming a pretty well-known name in the headphone game, in no small part due to their unique bone conduction technology.
This unique system allows the sound from the headphones to transmit sound vibrations to the cochlea (or the inner ear).
As Shokz themselves draw the comparison:
”Have you ever plugged your ears and sang a song but wondered how you can still hear the tune? Or heard the sounds generated from brushing your teeth or eating potato chips? That’s bone conduction at its finest”
Pretty cool, right?
Shokz (or Aftershokz depending on when your purchased your pair) are speedy and straightforward to hook up to your listening device.
If you’re wondering about Aftershokz Bluetooth pairing, or you’re having issues connecting, then look no further as we’ll talk you through it!
How To Enter Aftershokz Pairing Mode
Before we get on to how to connect Aftershokz and Shokz, we need to know how to enter them into pairing mode.
To prompt Shokz or Aftershokz Bluetooth pairing mode, simply follow these instructions:
- Ensure the headphones are switched off to start
- Press and hold the Volume+ button for 5-7 seconds
- Wait until the LED flashes red and blue
- You should hear the voice of Audrey, the Shokz voice prompter, say ‘Pairing’
- Your Shokz or Aftershokz pairing mode is now activated
How To Pair Shokz To Your Device
Now we know how to set up Shokz and Aftershokz pairing mode, we can get started on connecting to our mobile phones!
Shokz and Aftershokz Bluetooth pairing will operate the same, so regardless of whether you own a newer or older model, you’ll just need to follow these instructions:
How To Pair Shokz Headphones To Android
- Ensure your Shokz or Aftershokz pairing mode is enabled
- Open the ‘Settings’ menu on your Android device
- Locate your Shokz headphones on the device list
- Select your Shokz
- The Shokz LED should flash blue and prompt you with a voice confirmation of ‘Connected’
How To Pair Shokz Headphones To iPhone
- Make sure your Shokz or Aftershokz Bluetooth pairing mode is enabled
- Open the iPhone ‘Settings’ app
- Select ‘Bluetooth’
- You should see your headphones on the available device list
- Click on the headphones to connect. The Shokz LED should flash blue with a voice confirmation saying ‘Connected’
How To Pair Shokz Headphones To Laptop
- Open the ‘Start’ menu and search for ‘Settings’
- Select ‘Settings’
- Select ‘Devices’
- If prompted, select ‘Bluetooth and Other Devices’
- Click on ‘Add Bluetooth Or Other Device’ followed by ‘Bluetooth’
- Locate your Shokz and click on them to connect. The blue LED should flash and prompt you with a voice confirming you are ‘Connected’
It’s worth noting if you’re having trouble connecting and you’re wondering how to pair Aftershokz headphones (or Shokz) to your laptop that your Bluetooth drivers will need to be up to date.
If you’re using an older laptop, you may need a Bluetooth adapter to complete this connection.
If you’re using a PC, follow these instructions, as the process will be the same!
How To Pair Shokz To Mac
- Select the ‘Apple’ logo in the top left of the screen
- Click on ‘System Preferences’
- Click on the Bluetooth logo
- Locate your Shokz and click on them to connect. The blue LED will flash, and a voice reminder of ‘Connected’ should play
How To Pair Shokz With NFC
NFC (or near field communication) is a unique technology that allows a compatible mobile device and NFC-equipped headset to connect by being close to each other.
This removes any need to scroll through settings and Bluetooth menus.
However, currently, NFC is only available on the Aftershokz OpenComm Bone Conduction headset.
To use NFC to pair Aftershokz headphones, just follow these instructions:
- Ensure your Aftershokz Bluetooth pairing mode is enabled
- Hold your headphones (where the NFC logo is located) next to the device you want to connect to
- After a moment, a blue light will flash with a voice confirmation of ‘Connected’
- If a prompt pops up onscreen, hit confirm to complete the connection
As mentioned, this is much quicker than the usual Aftershokz Bluetooth pairing process. However, you will need to ensure your Android device is currently NFC compatible.
Some iPhones will have NFC capability, but unfortunately, not for headphone pairing (their NFC is typically used for other functions such as Apple Pay).
How To Pair Shokz Headphones To Multiple Devices
One of the unique functions of Shokz headphones is the ability to pair to two devices.
You won’t be able to listen to both music simultaneously, but you will be able to switch between the two very quickly!
To enable multipoint pairing of your Shokz or Aftershokz headphones, just follow these steps:
- Ensure the Shokz or Aftershokz headphones pairing mode is enabled
- Press and hold the ‘Multifunction’ button and Volume+ button for 2-3 seconds. Audrey, the Shokz voice prompt will say ‘Multipoint Enabled’
- Pair up to your first device using the instructions above. Audrey will say ‘Connected’
- Switch off your headphones and re-enter pairing mode
- Pair the second device, and you will hear a voice confirmation of ‘Device Two Connected’
That’s how to pair Aftershokz headphones (or Shokz) to multiple devices.
Why Are My Shokz Not Pairing?
There might be occasions where your Shokz won’t pair with your device. Thankfully it’s usually nothing to worry about, and a quick reset of the headphones will sort the problem out.
To perform a reset of your Shokz, just complete these steps:
- Remove your Shokz from your device Bluetooth list (if you’ve paired with multiple devices, make sure to remove them from both)
- Enter pairing mode (press and hold the Volume+ button for 5-7 seconds)
- When Audrey confirms you are in pairing mode, press and hold the Multifunction button, the Volume+, and Volume- at the same time for 3-5 seconds
- The headphones will beep, and you should feel a small vibration
- Turn your headphones off. This completes the reset
If you are still experiencing issues, simply try turning your headphones on and off again.
Following these steps should completely reset the headphones and allow you to reconnect and listen to music as usual.
Before you head off, check out our guide to the 7 Best Bone Conduction Headphones (With Microphone)!