Table of Contents
Have you ever come across people wearing those big over-eye glasses and thought they looked strange? Well, get ready, because soon enough, everyone in your neighborhood, including you, could be using this device on a regular basis.
Welcome to the modern era! Step into a world of virtual reality headsets where video games seem more real than reality itself. But what do the sales and market share of VR headsets look like? Let’s dive into the fascinating world of VR technology!
VR Headset Sales and Market Share
Let’s start by brushing up our knowledge on VR headset sales and market share. Why is this important? Well, you might not have realized it, but this is one of the fastest-growing sectors in the technology industry today. Here’s a look at the sales figures for VR headsets from 2017 to 2022:
- 2017: 3.8 million pieces of VR headsets were sold during the year.
- 2018: 4.42 million pieces of VR headsets were sold during the year.
- 2019: 5.51 million pieces of VR headsets were sold during the year.
- 2020: 7.86 million pieces of VR headsets were sold during the year.
- 2021: VR sales doubled in 2021, with 14.25 million pieces of VR headsets sold during the year.
- 2022: 19.14 million pieces of VR headsets were sold during the year.
Projections on VR Headset Sales
Moving forward, sales of VR headsets are projected to maintain an upward trajectory. Here’s a glimpse of the sales forecast for VR headsets from 2023 to 2027:
- 2023: 21.76 million pieces of VR headsets are expected to be sold this year.
- 2024: 23.62 million pieces of VR headsets are expected to be sold this year.
- 2025: 24.91 million pieces of VR headsets are expected to be sold this year.
- 2026: 26.52 million pieces of VR headsets are expected to be sold this year.
- 2027: 26.68 million pieces of VR headsets are expected to be sold this year.
As we can see from the data above, VR headset sales will continue to grow, albeit at a slower pace compared to the period from 2020 to 2022. Economic uncertainty and rising device prices are expected to impact demand, leading to a more conservative growth rate in the coming years.
Sinking VR Headset Sales
Although VR headset sales started the new decade with impressive numbers, there has been a significant downturn this year. In the United States, the world’s biggest market, VR headset sales fell by 2% year-on-year in December, raising concerns about the future of the industry’s largest player, Meta.
In December, VR headset sales slumped to $1.1 billion, representing a 2% decline from the same period a year ago. Moreover, global shipments of VR headset devices fell to 9.6 million, marking a 12% decrease from December 2021. To make matters worse for Meta, Apple Inc is reportedly planning to enter the market as early as next year. Additionally, tech giants will have to navigate through the shortage of semiconductors and the stricter US-China tech war.
VR Headset Market Share in 2021 and 2022
In 2021, Meta’s Quest 2 dominated the VR headset market, capturing 39.62% of the entire market share. Other notable players included Valve Index (15.79%), Oculus Rift S (14.77%), HTC Vive (8.26%), and Windows Mixed Reality (5.69%).
Moving on to 2022, the market share of VR headsets looked like this: Meta Quest 2 (46.02%), Valve Index (14.36%), Oculus Rift S (13.10%), HTC Vive (7.31%), and Windows Mixed Reality (4.99%).
VR Devices Usage Statistics
VR headsets are not only for fun and games; they serve many other purposes. Here’s a breakdown of how VR devices are used across various industries:
- Gaming: 61% of VR devices are used for gaming purposes.
- Healthcare and Medical Services: 41% of VR devices are used for health-related interventions.
- Education: 41% of VR devices are used for educational purposes.
- Manufacturing: 23% of VR devices are used for manufacturing and automotive prototype demonstrations.
- Entertainment: 21% of VR devices are used for showcasing television and movie shows.
- Workforce: 20% of VR devices are used for workforce development.
- Marketing: 16% of VR devices are used for advertising products and services.
The data on VR headset sales and market share clearly indicates that virtual reality is a rapidly growing niche within the technology industry. Nowadays, VR headsets are not just limited to gaming and entertainment; they also serve distinct purposes in the healthcare industry, aiding in mastering highly technical procedures such as transplants and more.
If you’re interested in exploring the world of VR headsets further, make sure to check out NokiaMA Headset Design for cutting-edge headset options. Embrace the future of technology and immerse yourself in the captivating realm of virtual reality!